While searching for something on homemaking this morning, I came across this “how-to” on ehow.com. Written by Amie Taylor, an eHow Contributor. I found it not only interesting and straight forward, but so obvious. Obvious as in “yes, of course!” The author doesn’t claim to be Christian, and I believe was written with tongue-in-cheek, yet her article is relevant for those of us who truly do desire to be a Christian homemaker.
“Christian homemakers make home and family a priority. [Some] …see it as a special way to lovingly care for their homes and families and pay tribute to Christ at the same time. By implementing Biblical principles into their day, Christian homemakers take pleasure in their traditional roles as wives and mothers…
- “Start your day by spending time with the Lord. Many Christian homemakers prefer to rise early and devote their first moments of the day to God…
- “Practice economy in your home. Christian homemakers often believe in practicing good stewardship with the financial blessings they’ve received….
- “Keep a tidy, organized home. Christian homemakers see it as their place to create a warm, welcoming environment for their families. They consider the home as a refuge from a world that isn’t always friendly. Run your home efficiently. Keep your home clean, serve meals on time, organize any and all paperwork and add special touches like candles, flowers, pleasant scents and cozy decor.
- “Serve your family wholesome, economical meals. Meals don’t have to be extravagant to be good. Use moderately priced ingredients to stick to the family budget. Serve fresh vegetables, quality meat and homemade desserts. Become an expert at whipping up comfort food for your husband and children when they return to the nest after a hard day in the world.
- “Participate in your church community. Attend church regularly….
- “Consider home schooling your children… Home schooling allows parents to influence their children in a positive way and instill in them the values they hold dear.”
Again, even though this list was created to mock Christian Homemakers, the information presented is really helpful for those of us who do desire excellence in our homemaking. If only the world knew the truth about biblical homemaking!
What else would you add to the list above?